This statement sets out the standards that you can expect from us in handling any information you entrust to us.
What You can Expect From Us
- Where you have a choice as to whether to provide us with your information, or what we do with it, we aim to make it is as easy as possible to exercise that choice.
- We always set out the reasons for the collection of information, and only use it for those reasons.
- Only information which we actually need is collected and processed.
- Your personal information is seen only by authorised staff who need it to perform their duties.
- Any information which we no longer need is deleted, unless we are compelled to keep it by law. Where we cannot, we will make this clear.
- We will provide you with the ability to review and manage your information.
- Decisions affecting you are made only on the basis of reliable and up-to-date information.
- We will apply reasonable protections from unauthorised or accidental disclosure.
- A copy of any information we hold about you is provided to you on request and we will honour your requests and rights, subject to the relevant appropriate legal restrictions and guidelines.
- Any inaccurate or misleading information is checked and corrected as soon as you bring this to our attention.
- We will put in place appropriate controls to manage any third-party vendor or supplier we deal with, holding them accountable via contract to specific standards, and ensuring they do not act without our instruction, passing on your choices and restrictions.
- Proper procedures are in place for dealing promptly with any complaints that you make. The principles apply to personal information that we hold in all formats, including computer and paper based records.
- We will only share information with external agencies for specified purposes, for reasons required by law or with your consent.
Service-Specific Privacy Statements
Wherever we request information from you, we will set out clearly:
- who will see it
- why they need it
- what they will do with it
We will also tell you:
- how we safeguard your personal information
- how you can check and correct the information we hold
- how to pursue a query or complaint and
- where to get more information
Wherever we request information from you, we will set out clearly:
- who will see it
- why they need it
- what they will do with it
- Why a general privacy notice?
- I’ve been redirected here from another privacy notice. Why?
- This is a bit much. Can you shorten it?
- Why does IoA hold information on me?
- What type of personal data will IoA collect about me?
- How will IoA collect the information?
- How do I keep my information up to date and accurate?
- Will my data be given to anyone else?
- How long will my data be held for?
- What about our website?
- What rights do I have?
- And if I want a copy of my information?
- Who can help me if I have a query?
- Will IoA’s position change?
Why a General Privacy Notice ?When the Institute of Analytics (IoA) and its affiliated entities (together ‘IoA’, ‘us’ or ‘we’) collects your information, we are required by law to be fair in notifying individuals on how their information will be managed and to inform them of their rights. But more than that, we want to be transparent, open and ethical in our practices. This data protection notice provides information on how we use personal data relating to our prospective and existing customers, our partners and other individuals we do business with (also referred to in this notice as ‘you’), including:
- IoA members, affiliates, registered students and potential students
- subscribers to IoA magazines and other publications
- representatives from employers of students and members
- representatives of partner organisations and service providers
- registrants for continuing professional development training courses or other events
- donors and lenders as part of our benevolent fund
- complainants and enquirers
I’ve been Redirected here from another Privacy Notice. Why ?We try and give you all the information you need at the point of collection, in tailored privacy notices specific to the product or service you want to take up. However, it is sometimes impossible to give you all the information in a small space, or to tell you everything in as much detail as you may want. In that case we redirect you to this longer notice, which outlines a more general approach to privacy (but will not hold specifics for the product or service), which you may read at your leisure.
This is a Bit Much. Can You Shorten It?We try to use plain language throughout the next sections, but there is a lot of detail to communicate, which is however important for you to understand. If you want a more principle based approach to our general intention surrounding privacy, you should read our privacy promise and you can always navigate directly to the part or question of your interest directly.
Why Does IoA Hold Information on Me?
Administration of Studentship and Membership RecordsWe will hold personal data relating to members, affiliates and registered students in order to administer membership or studentship with IoA and comply with our regulatory obligations. In certain cases, it is also voluntary for members, affiliates and registered students to provide us with details of ethnic origin, in order for us to review equality or opportunity of treatment.
Training and ExaminationsWe will use your information to administer courses and exams and to monitor the pass rates and performance of learning providers, as well as IoA students. We may use sensitive information to determine your eligibility for special accommodations in order to provide you with assistance as part of the examinations and to comply with various equality and disability legislations. Please note that some examinations may be taken electronically and therefore may require the collection of additional information for the purpose of electronic processing.
IoA ExchangeThis is a service offered to employers and learning providers. It enables them to upload details of the IoA students whom they employ and / or are training, and monitor examination status and results IoA requires such employers and learning providers to obtain your consent before including your details on this service.
IoA Learning CommunityWe will use your personal data to validate your registration to IoA’s Learning Community services. Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and other courses IoA offers CPD training courses and other training events, online or offline, for both members and non-members and we will need your information, in order to administer such courses. We will use your information to establish and validate your work experience as part of your progression to membership.
IoA ConnectWe will use your information to respond to enquiries and assist you with your request. Your communications with IoA, including online, by email, text message (SMS), via IoA’s customer contact centre (or otherwise) may be recorded and retained for training and record-keeping purposes. Records may be used to monitor the quality of the assistance given and to verify the matters discussed. If you post or interact with us via social media, we may use your information, in order to contact you in relation to the query, we will not use this for the purpose of further marketing or communications, unless you give us your consent to do so. We may share information with our suppliers in order to assist you.
Communications (including marketing)We use your information for marketing purposes and to send you relevant communications about our qualifications, our products and services and any other relevant events. We may use your contact details to send you registration or information packs, recruitment materials, surveys, questionnaires, invitations regarding IoA-based consultations, details of IoA courses and events or to notify you of any updates and changes to IoA’s products and services. You will have the right to withdraw your consent for these at all times, and we will make this process as easy as possible. IoA may also carry out mailings on behalf of third parties (without disclosing your details to such third parties), subject to obtaining your consent. Consent may be requested on your IoA registration form or separately by IoA. Please let us know if you do not wish to receive (or wish to change the way in which you receive) any of the above materials (see And if I want a copy of my information? below). We will not pass your information on to other marketing providers and we will not sell your information to any third party.
PublicationsWe will use your information in order to manage subscriptions to IoA’s publications, including Student Accountant, Finance Matters, Teach Accounting, Accounting link and Accounting & Business magazines. Please contact IoA if you wish to change the format in which you receive such publications, e.g. electronically or in hard copy (see And if I want a copy of my information? below). We may also use information, which you explicitly provide to us when participating in IoA campaign programmes, within internal and external publications to promote IoA in the public and for advertisement purposes. We will always inform you when participating in public campaigns and will seek your explicit agreement prior to using your information. Examples of these are ambassador and leadership campaign programmes or interviews undertaken during public events Professional conduct We will use your information for the purpose of enquiries, investigations and complaints relating to members and registered students (or prospective and former students). Such matters may be sensitive in nature and IoA restricts internal access to information to those teams responsible for investigating and resolving the relevant matters. However, please be aware that disciplinary hearings and outcomes may be made public.
Regulation of firmsWe will use personal information of nominated individual representatives of firms and other organisations as part of our regulatory activities, including monitoring purposes.
Partner relationship managementWe will use personal information of nominated individual representatives of firms and other organisations as part of our partner relationship management activities, including accreditation and approved employers and learning partner’s applications.
What Type of Personal Data Will IoA Collect About Me?We process information relevant to the above reasons and/or purposes. This information may include:
- personal details
- contact details and preferences
- membership details
- details of complaints
- education and employment details
- social circumstances
- physical or mental health details
- racial or ethnic origin
- criminal records
How will IoA Collect the Information?We will collect data directly from you (for example from registration forms, change of details forms, at fairs and events and via our website) and will create some data internally (e.g. when we assign you an IoA ID or determine examination results). Where we collect information, whether that be via websites, telephone, or manual forms we will provide at the point of collection a more tailored and specific privacy notice pointing out the relevant information for that product or service and justifying why the collection is necessary. We may also collect some data from external sources. For example:
- Employers and learning providers may provide IoA with relevant information on members and students employed by and/or training with them, including where they are registering you for a course
- IoA’s service providers (e.g. examiners and invigilators) will send IoA information relevant to the service they are providing
- The general public may provide information to IoA in relation to complaints and/or investigations
How do I Keep MY Information up to Date and Accurate ?Please note that it is your responsibility to inform us of any change to your contact details during your studentship or membership with IoA and to keep us informed of which courses you have attended to satisfy ongoing CPD requirements. We endeavour to provide self-service where possible, so you can review and update your own information at your leisure via myIoA portal. If you don’t have a MyIoA portal account you can always contact us via our contact centre to update your information.
Will My Data be Given to Anyone else ?
Service ProvidersIoA uses a number of third-party service providers in order to carry out the activities described above, for example, to send you mailings or operate or administer exams. IoA requires such service providers to use your personal data only for the purpose of the relevant service.
Joint scheme partners & other professional bodiesIn some countries, IoA operates joint qualification schemes with third parties. Both IoA and the joint scheme and other professional bodies will need to share information with each other in order to operate the scheme.
IoA Exchange Partners
Certain information, such as your name and examination results, will be shared with employers and learning providers who receive this service, subject to obtaining your consent.
Learning provider results serviceSome learning providers subscribe to an IoA ‘results service’ under which they may access examination results of the students they have trained in order to monitor their pass rate performance. Your learning provider is required to inform you separately if they use your data in this way. Other learning providers may be provided with your student results, where you have given them your consent to do so.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) accredited employersIoA may liaise with employers who are accredited for CPD purposes to verify your employment with them and/or to validate their accreditation as a CPD provider.
Approved EmployersIf you are employed by an organisation, which is a member of IoA’s approved employer scheme, IoA may liaise with your employer and provide relevant details, in order to validate your experience records or give you the opportunity to receive additional member benefits (e.g. training courses). Employers may be provided with your student results, where you have given them your consent to do so. General Public IoA is required to publish customer information in its members’ directory and a register relating to Analytics and Data Science Professionals. In addition, disciplinary hearings and outcomes may be made public. Verification of details and employment assistance If you are a student, affiliate or a member, subject to obtaining your consent, we may provide relevant details to recruitment agencies, employers and educational or professional bodies (e.g. other accountancy bodies) for the purposes of assisting you to find appropriate employment once qualified. We will also provide information relating to verification of membership, training and qualification details.
Professional advisers, regulatory and legal authoritiesIoA may disclose your personal data to its professional advisers, legal authorities, other professional bodies, other regulators or other third parties, in order to investigate complaints and disciplinary matters, to exercise or defend its legal rights or otherwise, where required by law.
How Long Will My Data be held for?We will retain your details for as long as they are needed for the relevant purposes listed in the section Why does IoA hold information on me? above. We may also retain certain records for other legitimate reasons (including after your relationship with IoA has ended), for example to resolve any potential disputes, cross-check against future membership applications and to comply with other reporting and retention obligations.
What about our Website ?We will retain your details for as long as they are needed for the relevant purposes listed in the section Why does IoA hold information on me? above. We may also retain certain records for other legitimate reasons (including after your relationship with IoA has ended), for example to resolve any potential disputes, cross-check against future membership applications and to comply with other reporting and retention obligations. We may also retain certain records for other legitimate reasons (including after your relationship with IoA has ended), for example to resolve any potential disputes, cross-check against future membership applications and to comply with other reporting and retention obligations.
What about our Website ?For information about cookies used on our website, please see our website privacy and cookies notice.
What Rights I Have ?Individual’s rights are qualified (meaning they may not have these rights at all times, or in all circumstances), but generally speaking, individual’s rights include:
- the right of access or to obtain a copy of their information
- the right to correction or updating
- the right to complain (to both the IoA and the regulator)
- the right to object, block or put on hold processing
- the right to be forgotten
- the right of data portability to another provider
- the right to be compensated for damage or distress
- rights related to automated decision making (machine based judgements)
If you want to exercise one of these rights please get in touch at: IoA – Institute of Analytics, The Analytics House D2 Regent Park, Summerleys Road, Princes Risborough, HP27 9LE, United Kingdom.
And if I Want a Copy of my Information?We try and provide a self-service style of service, or login to your account and review and update your own information or alternatively you can call our contact centre. Before providing you with your personal data, we may require confirmation of your identity or further information about the data requested to assist IoA to locate your personal data. Please also let us know if you believe any data we hold to be inaccurate or if you have other concerns about our use of your personal data. These rights are subject to certain exemptions which may apply, for example, in relation to some professional conduct matters and accessing examination scripts. You can update your contact details and options for receiving publications and communications via myIoA or by contacting IoA’s contact centre.
Who can Help me if I have a Query?For more information, or for further assistance with a more detailed enquiry, or if you want to exercise your rights, please contact email@example.com
Will IoA’S Position Change ?From time to time we will review this document, when we make substantial changes to our processes or procedures and systems, or if laws and regulations change.
We will update the notice here, and make reasonable efforts to contact and update those affected if the changes are substantial in nature.
- What’s this Notice for ?
- What about if I Fill in a Web form ?
- What if I use the call and use social media facility ?
- What about other websites you provide links to on your site ?
- Where can I Find Additional Information ?